Welcome to the first Internet website exclusively developed for the sector of Lyons which has been listed by Unesco as a World Heritage Site.
Start of the project
From its starting point in 2004/2005 the founders of Historical-Cities.org have aimed to pilot and develop a generic tool, a knowledge data-base, associated with a three-dimensional evocation of the ancient Lyons and the full potential of an informative web portal. The legitimate and recognised skills of the founding team, coupled with those of the MAP-Aria laboratory of the School of Architecture of Lyons, were the basis of this generic tool.
Since 2008 www.vieux-lyon.org has become a highly successful reference for the valorisation and promotion of Old Lyons on Internet: there is a constant flow of between 250 to 300 visitors a day.
The association now has fifty members: active members, scientific partners, institutional support, from the city of Lyons for example and the 5th Municipal District (with us since the start of the project), the School of Architecture, the Editions Lyonnaises d'Art et d'Histoire, the association Sanctuaires St-Just St-Irénée, the Gadagne museums, the Gallo-Roman museums, the Municipal Archives, the central Municipal Library, the Urban Agency, the Maison de l'Asie, ...
Historical-Cities.org association has been declared of general interest since May 2010.
Practice of computer innovations
Summary of IT innovations in 2D/3D :
- Geographical data base of remarkable buildings that can be geo-localised with the MapInfo tool of the company Pitney Bowes
- Interactive 3D navigation with aerial views with Google Earth
- 3D displacements within 360° panoramic photos
- 3D realistic evocations of disappeared or partially destroyed monuments
On the I-phone / Smart-Phone format :
- Commented visits: http://izi.travel/lyon-unesco
- French, English and Chinese versions